6 leeks trimmed and washed well
180g sliced wafer thin ham
35g plain flour
20g low-fat spread
300ml semi-skimmed milk
75g reduced fat mature Cheddar cheese grated
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 pinch ground black pepper
1. Cook the leeks in a large saucepan of simmering water for about 10-12 minutes, until just tender. Drain
well in a colander – it helps if you leave them for a few minutes to cool slightly too.
2. Wrap a slice of ham around each leek, then arrange them in a large shallow baking dish.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6.
4. Put the flour, low-fat spread and milk into a non-stick saucepan. Heat, stirring all the time with a small
whisk (see tip), until the sauce is thick and smooth. Cook gently for a few seconds, then remove from the
5. Add all but 1 tablespoon of the cheese and stir in the mustard. Season with some pepper. Stir the sauce
until the cheese has melted, then pour it over the leeks. Sprinkle the left over cheese over the top.
6. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the leeks are heated through and the top is golden brown.
Serve 2 leeks to each adult and 1 to each child.
WE ADDED SOME PASTA TO GIVE THIS SOME MORE BULK>>>> IT ALSO MADE THIS DISH LAST LONGER AS IT MADE SOME AWESOME LEFTOVERS FOR LUNCH THE NEXT DAY