So I improvised with some of the last dregs of vegetables in the fridge/ veg bin. This was also a great opportunity to try the new low fat pastry recipe I
swiped borrowed off the net.
Ingredients for pie filling
- 400g lean diced beef (probably more like 350g after i nibbled at the newly fried of steak)
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped roughly
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 apple (i used a golden delicious), chopped finely
- handful of green beans
- 6 – 7 carrots
- 1 chicken stock cube
- a little butter or marg (for the calorie conscious)
- Add a little bit of margarine to a sturdy frying pan
- Add diced beef to the pan and seal until brown. While browning off add a little water (dont quite cover pan), this will add to the lovely meat/ marg juices
- Once browned remove meat to a separate bowl. Keep those gorgeous juices in the pan.
- Add a stock cube and crushed garlic clove to the juice in the pan, mix and add roughly chopped onion.
- Add one finely chopped sweet apple ( I’m loving asdas golden delicious apple packs at the moment)
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes until onion/apple begins to brown then add the onion/ apple mix, and any looovely juices remaining, to the steak.
- Cook your vegetables… remember to let it all cool before you add it to the pastry
- I only added a pastry top instead of making a full pie.