Never was there a more ‘English’ recipe… we loved this awesome casserole topped with herby dumplings.
- 500g minced beef
- 16 button onions (I used 2 normal onions)
- 2 carrots thickly sliced
- 2 celery sticks thickly sliced
- 1 pint stock
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- salt and ground black pepper
Ingredients for dumplings
- 1 cup/ 4oz shredded vegetable suet
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 1tbsp chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- fry off beef for 5 min until brown and sealed
- Add onions (chopped roughly if you use normal onions) and fry over moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring all the time
- Stir in the sliced carrots, the celery and the flour, then cook for a further 1 minute
- Add the stock and season to taste with salt and pepper, bring to the boil, cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour 15 min.
- For the dumplings, mix together the suet, flour and fresh parsley… add enough water to form a smooth dough
- Roll the dumpling mixture into eight equal-sized balls and place them around the top of the casserole. Return the casserole, uncovered, to the oven for another 20 minute.
- Gorgeous served with broccoli…YUM!