This tart (or or if you fancy multiple little tartlets ) was lovely with the steamed cod we bought…. locally grown tomatoes from Eileens of course. [grins]
Make up pastry as you normally would or try our low fat pastry recipe
- 6 oz mozzarella, either grated or thinly sliced
- 12 fresh basil leaves, 6 of which roughly torn
- 4 – 5 tomatoes, cut into 5mm slices
- 4tbsp parmesan cheese
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of 5mm or 1/4 inch and use it to line a loose bottomed flan tin. Prick the base and chill for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Line the pastry with a sheet of baking parchment (or grease proof paper).
- Fill with dried beans
- Place the flan tin on a baking tray and blind bake for 15 minutes at Gas Mark 5.
- Remove from the oven [leave oven on]
- Remove beans and paper then brush the pastry with oil
- Line with mozzarella and sprinkle the torn basil over the top
- Arrange the tomato slices over the cheese and dot with the whole basil leaves
- Season with salt and pepper, parmesan, oil and bake for 35 minutes
- If the cheese seems to be making a lot of liquid, tilt the tin to one side and spoon out the excess liquid to keep the pastry crisp.