Cooking time: 2 hours
Quantity: 4 adult helpings
- 4oz stale bread
- 3/4lb sausage meat (about 6 good sized sausages)
- 5oz pinto beans, cooked and mashed
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp thyme
- gravy browning
- browned breadcrumbs
- pepper and salt
- Soak the stale bread in water until soft.
- Squeeze out the water and mash the bread with the sausage meat, the mashed beans, pepper, salt, mustard and thyme.
- Add gravy browning until the mixture is a rich brown.
- Press very firmly into a greased 2lb stone jam jar or tin, and steam for 2 hours.
- Roll in browned breadcrumbs and serve hot with brown gravy, or cold with raw cabbage salad and boiled potatoes