Just incase you were wondering (and I know you were) this recipe goes just as well with plain vanilla ice cream as it does with pouring cream or hot custard.
This modern day recipe is meant to serve 4 to 6 adults…. we fed 2 adults 2 children and a 3 year old with a e tooth…. twice…. with icecream…and to answer your next question….. Aldi plain vanilla only 89p for a regular (run of the mill sized) tub.
- 75g/3oz/6 tbsp butter, diced
- 175g/ 6oz/ 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 450g/ 1lb ripe pears
- 450g/ 1lbs/ 4 cups blackberries
- grated rind and juice of 1 small orange
- 115g/ 4oz/ 1/2 cup brown sugar
- plus extra sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas mark 4
- Heat the butter in a heavy based frying pan over a moderate heat and add the breadcrumbs, stir until golden
- Peel and core the pears, then cut into thick slices and mix with the blackberries, orange rind and juice.
- Mix the brown sugar with the breadcrumbs, then layer with the fruit in a 900ml/ 1.5 pint/ 3 cup buttered baking dish, beginning and ending with a layer of sugared breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the extra brown sugar over the top, cover the dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover the pudding, then bake for a further 30 to 35 minutes, until the fruit is cooked and the top is brown and crisp.