This is possible best made the day before (a good 12 hours earlier) as the sorbet takes some time to freeze.
- 450g/ 1lb soft fruit
- 115g/ 4oz granulated sugar
- 285 ml/ 1/2 pint water
- 1tsp gelatin
- 1- 2 egg whites (2 is better but 1 is fine)
- Turn the fridge to the lowest setting or turn on the fast-freeze section of the freezer.
- Pureethe fruit and seive if necessary to remove seeds.
- In a saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the water and bring to the boil. Boil rapidly for 5 minutes and set aside to go cold.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over a little water in a pan and when soaked heat gently to dissolve. Then mix together the syrup, puree and gelatin and put into asuitable container.
- Freeze until just mushy, about 30 minutes. Stir to remove ice crystals around the edges.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the puree then return to the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- To serve, allow to defrost for 10 to 15 minutes – the exact time will depend on the temperature of your freezer and the fruit used.