When describing calzone to my 6year old I told him ‘… calzone are what happen when pasties and pizzas marry…’ failing that and an odd look from him I told him it was a folded over pizza. That seemed to work.
- Click HERE for our pizza dough recipe …. the main ingredient for the calzones…. and make as instructed. No you can’t use ready made pizza bases but you can used ‘make your own pizza’ bas kits available in a lot of larger stores. We used half of the amounts in the pizza dough recipe… and that made 10 decent sized pasties.
- Once youre pizza dough is ready preheat your oven on GAS MARK 5. Divide the dough up and roll out to the size of a side plate and about 3 to 4mm thick.
- In the bottom half of the circular shape add your filling…. a little more than the size of a matchbox and smaller than a deck of cards. We used ham and grated cheese.
- Fold the parcel over and pinch the edges together, making sure your calzone isnt too full or too empty.
- Place on a greased tray, or a pizza mesh and place in the oven for 25 minutes, or until brown
These are great as part of a meal or as a snack (mini calzones) or even for parties and picnics….. perfect hand to mouth food. 😀 We had ours as our evening meal with greens and beans. <—– plus some left over for a snackette or lunch in the week.