- 6oz Roughly chopped mixed dried fruit, like apples, apricots, prunes and peaches
- 8fl oz hot tea
- 8oz wholemeal self raising flour
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 2oz brown sugar
- 3 tbsp oil (I used sunflower)
- 3 tbsp milk
- a little more brown sugar for sprinkling
- Soak the dried fruits in the tea for several hours or overnight. Drain and reserve the liquid
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4. Grease a round cake tin and line with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the flour into a bowl with the nutmeg. Stir in the sugar, fruit and tea. Add the oil and milk and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and sprinkle with the extra sugar. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until frm. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.