- 400g beef, diced or in strips (go on strip it… be spontanious)
- 1 medium onion or a couple of shallots
- 1 oz butter
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 rounded tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp oil (sunflower or veg etc)
- seasoning… to taste
TO SERVE: Traditional stroganoff is usually served with a sour cream (and chive) or creme fresh (and julienned dill/ sweet&sour cucumber AND a sprinkling of parsley) dressing, this can be substituted, if necessary, with a little yogurt… or grated cheese for a change.
- Trim the meat of any fat (if not using lean meat) and dice or cut into strips.
- Finely chop the shallots or onion and crush the garlic.
- Melt the butter in a steady frying pan, add the shalllot/ onion and cook over a low heat for 5 to 7 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and paprikeand cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Remove the mixture from the pan and set aside
- Add the oil to the pan and heat it over high heat.
- When it sizzles, add the beef and toss for for 2 to 3 minutes or until the beef is sealed and nicely browned.
- Stir in the onion mixture and add your seasoning…. heat through stirring.
Serve hot with a swirl of yogurt/ sour cream etc and a sprinkling of parsley and julienne cucumber