Ingredients – cake base
- 230g/ 2 cups plain flour
- 110g/ 1/2 cup of sugar
- 80g/ 1cup of quick cook oats
- 5 tbsp margarine
Ingredients – topping
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 450g/ 2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- zest of 1 orange and juice from half (or zest and juice from 1 lemon)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and grease two 8inch square baking trays
- Place the oats, sugar and flour in a bowl and mix together. Add the margarine and rub together until the mixture forms a crumble texture.
- Divide the mixture between the baking trays and press them down until well packed.
- PLace in the oven for 10 minutes, until the edges turn golden
- Whilst the bases are baking, place eggs and egg whites in a bowl and whisk well.
- Add the sugar and beat together until creamy. Add the baking powder, flour, orange zest and juice and the salt. Whisk until smooth. (I added half a cap of orange flavouring for that extra orangy flavour and smell.)
- Remove the cooked bases from the oven and pour the orange mixture equally over them. Return to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top layer becomes firm. (and doesnt collapse at the slightest touch)
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 to 15 minutes to firm up a bit.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.