Ummm well, I didnt actually make buns in the end… because I was out of oatmeal I used porridge oats… this made an otherwise good roll mix a little lumpy… and so the mix just went better in a bread tin… Never the less heres the original recipe from Marguerite Patten. Its a sort of cake (sorry Fu) and flapjack cross breed… but still delicious and very wholesome.
- 4oz white flour
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- 2.5 oz margarine
- 4oz fine oatmeal
- a level tsp ginger
- 1 egg
- 3 large tbsp honey
- Sift the white flour, the baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Rub in the margarine, when evenly mixed add the oatmeal and ginger.
- Beat in the egg and honey, mix to a stiff consistancy with a fork. you may need to add some milk.
- Divide the mixture into roughly piled heaps and roll into bun shapes.
- Bake in a hot oven (Gas Mark 7) for quick rising; then reduce the heat slightly for crisp, even browning.
- The whole baking should take about 20 minutes.