These are gorgeous, and save me getting one little tin baked beans per week. The points ration enables me to buy 8lbs of dried beans…. which is just over 3.5 kg…. that’s a lot. Especially as I made 2 tubs full (1 frozen) of baked beans on just 500g of the dried beans.
This means, once bought, I don’t have to think about regular baked beans and can spend that points ration on tinned meat or the occasional box of cereal for the kids. Now if I can just make my own corn flakes and roll my own oats I’ll be sorted lol.
- 400g Haricot beans (soaked in water over night)
- 3 tbsp oil
- a good sized onion
- bacon/ ham, chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 400g – 500g tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar (brown)
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- Cover the beans in water and bring to the boil over a medium heat
- Cook for about 45 minutes – 1 hour until they
- Remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes, drain well.
- Heat oil in sauce pan over a medium heat
- Add onions and ham , cook for 6 to 8 minutes
- Stir in garlic, tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and 400ml water
- Add the bacon/ ham
- Tip in the beans and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 1.5 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally until you have a thick sauce and tender beans
The beans taste better the more you cook them…. cook them until they are tender and collapse in the mouth.