Thought I’d re-arrange the menu an do a good old favourite tonight… Its been a while since we tasted sausages as I don’t like to push the black market boat out too often…. Still this was gorgeous and the extra pudding (that wasn’t eaten with the sausages) was lovely with jam and a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the kids… after all waste not want not!
- 1oz (25g) dripping, cooking fat or lard
- sausages (recipe suggests 1lb or 450g… I just use a whole packet of 8 sausages usually)
For the batter:
- 5oz (150g) plain flour
- pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 pint of milk
- Preheat oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6
- Put dripping/ fat/ lard into an oven proof tin and heat for a few minutes (or until melted), add the sausages and turn in the fat for about 5 minutes
- Raise the temp of the oven to 220C, 425F, gas mark 7
- Blend the batter ingredients together and whisk until smooth.
- Pour over sausages and hot fat and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until well risen and brown. Lower the heat towards the end if necessary.
Sweet batter pudding: same as above but served with hot jam or golden syrup
In case you want tor try something a little different there are loads of recipes online… my favourite is on jamieoliver[dot]com http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/toad-in-the-hole… with red onion and fresh rosemary.