- 2 Cups rolled oats
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2oz margarine
- 2oz butter (or lard… I’d use butter though)
- 1 tbsp syrup
- 1 tbsp water
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside
- melt the fats, syrup and water, without boiling
- add the syrup/ fat mix to the dry ingredients to form a stiff consistency.
- Make into small balls, about the size of hazelnuts.
- Flatten slightly and bake on Gas Mark 4 for about 10 to 15 minutes
- When golden brown, cool on a wire tray
- Sandwich together with a filling of butter icing, flavoured to taste with chocolate, orange or vanilla.
- A little dried milk and syrup helps to stretch this filling.