The kids loved these, but quite honestly they taste nothing like the crem caramels in the supermarket. They taste like caramel and home made custard…. yummy. The bit of hard caramel sticking out the top was formed at the bottom of the moulds I used… like a sheet of caramel flavoured glass.
It was tasty but I’m not sure its worth making regularly…. my little veg steamer is going to smell like eggy farts for ages. The caramel is easy enough to make and so is the custard… but steaming time depends on the heat, mixture etc…. in short this recipe probably could have gone better. I may use the custard mix again for puddings in the future though.
1 tbs water
1/2 pint of milk
1 dsp sugar
a few drops of vanilla essence
- For the caramel, dissolve the 2oz sugar in the water. Boil until the colour of caramel.
- Pour into heated mould, which can take 3/4 of a pint.
- When layer of caramel is cold, grease the sides of the mould.
- Warm the milk and pour this on the lightly beaten eggs and sugar, add the vanilla and pour the mixture over the caramel.
- Cover with greased paper and steam gently for 45 minutes, or until mixture is just firm.
- If possible, leave for 24 hours before turning out.