Once you have the basic burger recipe, you can experiment with it and add ingredients as you go along. A lot of popular recipes add more herb, mustard, worcester sauce etc…. because the kids dont like anthing too spicey I kept to this simple template and topped the burgers with a sprinkling of cheese and home made bread rolls (using the bread recipe)
- pinch salt
- a good grind of pepper
- 500g minced beef
- cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 onion chopped finely
- garlic, crushed (optional)
- Melt some butter in a small saucepan or use a tiny bit of oil, and add the onion. Fry over a gentle heat until the onion is soft and very pale golden. Leave to cool.
- Mix the mince with the egg, bread crumbs and then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the onions, and mix.
- Fry a tiny bit of the mixture in the frying pan to check for seasoning, and then shape into hamburgers.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the burgers for several minutes on each side.