I’m not sure why I was so surprised by this recipe. I think I thought tortillas looked difficult…. but they we’re in realitym easy and quick….. and although there were none left to freeze and store… quite honestly its probably easier to make them from scratch that it is to defrost and heat some up.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the lard with your fingers.
- Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Preheat a large skille/pant over medium-high heat.
- Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla.
- Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side.
- Continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.
We enjoyed these babies with duck (cooked in thyme), some onion and cucumber…….. who needs a take away when doing it yourself is this easy.