Take care not to over cook these so that they stay chewy in the middle. The muscovado sugar gives these meringues a marvellous caramel flavour.
- 115g/ 4oz/ 0.5 cup muscovado sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 5ml/ 1tsp finely chopped walnuts (optional but gooooood)
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 3 (160C/ 325F) and line two baking sheets
- Press the sugar through a metal sieve into a bowl
- whisk the egg whites in a grease free bowl until stiff and dry, then add the sieved brown sugar, about 15ml/ 1 tbs at a time, whisking it in the meringue until it is thick and glossy.
- spoon small mounds of the mixture onto the baking trays and sprinkle with the optional nuts
- bake for 30 minutes then leave to cool for 5 minutes on the trays… then transfer to wire rack to cool completely