We all liked this after dinner… even little miss E didn’t winge (she generally eats the icing off cakes… this cake didn’t need any).
4oz Butter or Margarine (Our butter was low so I used mostly margarine)
8oz Plain flour
4oz Dried mixed fruit (I just used raisins)
1 Tablespoon Baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon Grated nutmeg (or one healthy pinch)
2 Eggs, beaten
150 ml Milk ( 1/4 pint)
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and nutmeg into a bowl
- Cream the butter/ margarine and the sugar together and add to the flour
- Add the beaten eggs and the dried fruit
- slowly add the milk and mix well
- Turn onto a greased cake tin and bake at 180 °C / 350 °F / Gas 4 for 35 minutes, until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
Cut into wedges to serve.