This gorgeous yeast less bread is so easy to make… and requires not odd/ strange/ expensive or hard to find ingredients!
Its also GORGEOUS with home made jam… but I’m bias hehehe
- 6oz wholemeal flour
- 6oz white plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda/ bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 pint buttermilk (I didn’t have buttermilk so I put a hefty teaspoon of vinegar into 1/2 pint of regular milk and left it overnight… this ensures the vinegar has suitably soured the milk and so will react with the baking soda/ bicarb)
- Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and make a well in the centre
- Slowly add the milk until you reach the right ‘bread dough’ like consistency…. I added the whole 1/2 pint in one go… so i needed to add a hand full of flour to the mix again.
- Kneed a couple of times on a floured surface and place the dough on a greased/ floured baking tray
- Make a cross in the top with a sharp knife – this aids expansion
- Put the tray into the oven 200C/ 400F/ Gas Mark 6 for 45 minute or until the base sounds hollow when tapped…. also remember to pierce the centre with a clean knife…if it comes out clean its ready, if it comes out with dough or bits of damp dough on… leave it in.