- 3lbs wholemeal flour
- 2 level tbs salt
- 2 level tbs sugar
- 2 0z fresh yeast
- 1.5 pints water
- Sieve flour, salt and sugar into a bowl. rub/ mix yeast into flour.
- Make a well in the flour and add water to centre, mix flour in evenly.
- Kneed thoroughly then cover and prove until it has doubled in size. In a warm place this should take 1 to 2 hours… in cooler places 6 – 24 hours.
- Knead thoroughly and divide dough and shape as required.
- Brush the tops of the loaves with a mixture of 1tsp salt and 2 tbs water, then prove for 30-40 minutes and re-brush. This gives the bread a crisper crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven 3rd or 4th shelf from the bottom of the oven. Bake at 230-240C, 450-475F, Gas Mark 8-9 for 40 -45 minutes.
- When cooked the loaves should have shrunken slightly from the sides of the tins and sound hollow when tapped on the base.