This was beautiful with home made jam or just as nice with a bit of butter/ margarine…. It also stores nicely if kept in an airtight container/ old biscuit tin.
- 12oz self raising flour
- 2oz sugar
- 1 level tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3oz margarine
- a good 1/4 pint of milk
- Mix ingredients into a soft dough
- Turn out to floured board and knead lightly.
- Place into a greased tine or onto a greased baking tray and prick well with a fork
- Put into a preheated oven at Gas Mark 7 for 30 to 35 minutes
- Like normal bread, if cooked sufficiently, the base should make a hollow sound when tapped.