- 410g plain flour
- a pinch of salt
- 200g soft margarine
- 130g ground almonds
- 70g brown sugar
- 30g sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon, grated (OR like in our case… a couple of drops of GOOD QUALITY lemon essence)
- 1 tablespoon very cold water
FOR THE FILLING:
- 8 teaspoons jam
- 4 plums or 2 apples
- 120g marzipan (optional… we didn’t use it.. MrC cant stand it)
- 1 beaten egg white, to glaze
- a little bit sugar, for sprinkling
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and rub in the margarine with your fingertips to form fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the ground almonds and sugars. Gradually add the egg and yolks, vanilla extract and lemon along with enough water to mix to a soft dough.
- Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1–1.5mm and cut out 8 x 12cm circles.
- Brush the centre of each circle with a teaspoon of jam.
- Stone the fruit and place a ball of marzipan in each cavity(if using), then lay the filled fruit face down in the centre of each pastry circle.
- Score the skin of the fruit 3–4 times, and brush with egg white. Wet the edges of the pastry circle and bring them together in the centre to form a ball around the fruit.
- Glaze with the beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Carefully transfer the pastry parcels onto two baking sheets and bake in the oven for 30–35 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold.