Now that we’d mastered blancmange… it wasn’t really a big leap to home made lemon curd… wartime style as we have no
- 25g/1 oz Margarine
- 1 TBSP cornflour
- Lemon flavouring or Lemon juice to taste (The kids want the flavour rather than the sourness so I used 3 healthy tablespoons of lemon juice)
- 150ml/ quarter of a pint of water
- 125g/5 oz granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- Add the lemon flavouring/ juice and the water to a pan and boil
- While the water is boiling, beat the egg and mix in the corn flour… make sure you mix it smooth
- Add the now boiling lemon water to the cornflour mix and stir very well.
- Return the mixture to the pan and add the sugar stirring well for 3 minutes or until the mixture becomes very stiff
- Add the margarine and stir in well.
- Pour into a basin or jar and leave to cool completely before refrigerating or using.
This is great for a lemon tart…. just spoon some into some ready roll shortcrust pastry and bake on gas mark 5 for 25 to 30 minutes.
Use puff pastry to make quick puff pastry tarts see LINK for recipe.
Me??? I just loooove lemon curd on hot toast yummmmmmm