This is a 2 for 1 king of meal, the steak is used to flavour this ‘stew’ and is then kept aside for another meal… crafty!
- 1lb root vegetables in season… potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnips, swede etc
- a little fat
- 1lb stewing steak in one piece
- 1 breakfast cup of previously soaked dried peas or beans
- salt and pepper
- Prepare and fry the vegetables in a little fat. Fry the meat on both sides lightly
- Cut some of the meat into small pieces, leaving a good shaped piece of the meat ‘solid’.
- Place all in a sauce pan with the peas and beans, seasoning and water. Simmer gently for about 2 hours.
- Take out he large piece of meat and serve the rest as stew.
- Part of the main piece of meat can be sliced and and warmed up with hot gravy for other meals.