- 8oz plain flour with two teaspoons of baking powder
- 1oz cocoa powder
- 3oz sugar
- 225ml hot water
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- a few drops of vanilla
- 3oz melted margarine
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4 (350F or 180C) and grease your patty tins. This recipe makes about 24 buns.
- Sift the flour and baking powder, with the cocoa and add the sugar
- Pour the hot water into a large bowl and add the syrup and the bicarbonate of soda. This should fizz and make the liquid rise rapidly (Don’t worry too much if it doesn’t)
- Add the cocoa mixture with the essence and the margarine. Mix well.
- Add to greased patty tins and back for 15 to 20 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Remove from the tins and allow to cool.