The original recipe:
- 1lb diced potatoes
- 1lb cauliflower
- 1lb diced carrots
- 1lb diced swede
- 3 spring onions
- 1 teaspoon vegetable extract
- 1 tablespoon oatmeal
- A little chopped parsley
Cook everything together with just enough water to cover, stirring often to prevent it sticking to the pan. Let the mixture cool.
Spoon into a pie dish, sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Cover with a crust of potatoes or wholemeal pastry.
Bake in a moderate oven until golden brown.
Serve hot with gravy.
Now I was lacking a couple of the above ingredients… and those quantities make a large pie…so… I made some mini woolton’s… my way.
- carrots about 3 or 4
- half a dozen cauliflower florets
- a couple of good handfuls of spring greens
- enough potato to make enough mash to cover your pie/ pies
- plus any other veggies you have to hand
- a little cheese, for sprinkling
- Cook the veg and potatoes
- Divide the veg among the pie dish/ dishes… fill about three quarters full
- pour on a tablespoon or two of the gravy
- Mash the potatoes and top the veg dishes
- sprinkle with the cheese and grill until golden and bubbly… and voilà